
SUMMERTIME IS HERE!!! That's right - - -school is out until August. As I left work yesterday, I could not help but thank God for his goodness. It is extremely difficult being a high school teacher, especially to an audience of students who feel as if their future is bleak. I spent nearly the entire first part of the academic year attempting to boost my students' confidence. That was nearly a job and a half in itself. The Spring semester was somewhat easier, but by February, I was about to pass out from exhaustion.
One of the nicest compliments that I received came from a substitute teacher. When I returned from Indiana, I noticed that my sub. had left some comments on my lesson plan. She said, "These students have great manners. Where did they get them from? You?" I thought that I was going to cry. She was right - - - my students did have manners (FINALLY)!!! Either that, or they knew that I would clown them upon my return. Seriously, I have noticed a tremendous change. It was as if they had listened to Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" and opted to "make that change".
I was especially touched by one of the students. One student in particular, Mr. A., informed me that no one thought that he would ever graduate from high school. He mentioned that individuals had been saying this about him since he was in 3rd grade. I made it my business to track him down @ graduation. I immediately thought of the gospel song, "I'm Still Holding On":
Some said I wouldn't make it
Some said I wouldn't be here today
Some said I wouldn't amount to anything
But I am glad to say
That I am on my way
And, I am here to stay
Yesterday, I couldn't help but cry as I left work. An administrator thought that I was crying over not seeing her - - - NOT (although I have nothing against her whatsoever). I was crying because I had been through SO much during the 2007-2008 academic year, and I was glad that I had SURVIVED. I was crying because it was Dr. KC's last day at the g-i-g. I couldn't have asked for a better team teacher:
KC was an EXCELLENT mentor to me. He kept me sane when I was ready to jump off our building. He kept me together when I ready to open up a can of whup-ass on some of our colleagues. Whew! The list goes on. KC had me in stitches. I laughed so much around him that if it's true that one burns calories through laughter, I should look as if I am sucking on a straw. My favorite KC line - - - "Oh, so you plan on calling your Mama and your Daddy and having them come to the school? Great, call them both and tell them to bring a lunch with them."There's another wonderful person that is leaving the gig - - - ATTY. GC (that's right - - - she's an attorney, and she has done a GOOD job keeping that on the DL). WHERE do I begin my discussion about G? She has been another mentor/friend. G. is moving to CA to be with her fiance. I am so happy for her!!!! I do hope that if G. doesn't find a high school teaching position right away, that she would consider educational law. G. would be the PERFECT advocate for our children. She has a big heart, and we need more political advocates (particularly DEMOCRATS) in this area. Therefore, G., consider what I've said. You would be WONDERFUL. If I could turn back time, I would have gone into law; however, we KNOW that I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO SCHOOL TO PURSUE ANOTHER PROFESSIONAL DEGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Readers, you can take that to the bank "fo' sho'".
2 comments:
Awwww so sweet! Hope you have a great summer!!!
Thanks, Adrienne!
A post - - -finally. LOL.
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
Post a Comment