Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday, Monday

Good evening!

I'm back at the local university teaching English 101 this evening. Oh, I am so glad to be back at this institution. Universities (as well as malls) are my natural habitats. It's a "wonderful thang" to see students becoming active participants in their learning experience.

Speaking of students, if you have the time to be a mentor to a high schooler, DO SO. Our youth go through so much - confusion with sexuality, isolation, problems with their parents, etc. . . If we don't help these kids, they will be come lost, and eventually, we'll end up paying for them - either with welfare or prison.

Mom and I had a conversation prior to my arrival to campus. She informed me that people are admitting (via a CNN report) that they will not vote for Obama because he is African American. Have we truly made any progress in the United States? I often wonder what MLK and Malcolm X are thinking in Heaven. Indeed, we live in a pathetic as all hell country.The sad thing is that these closeminded individuals are procreating.

When will the madness end?

Tonight, I thought that I would share my list of "I Wants". I've been thinking about this list since my THIRTY-FOURTH birthday is less than 7 days away (9/30):

  • I want a closer relationship with God
  • I want a man who knows and fully accepts Christ and His teachings
  • I want a HOUSE that is meant for ME to own
  • I want my students to fully understand the steps that I have taken to prepare them for life outside of high school
  • I want stupid-ass folks to learn how to leave me the H(ell - Grandfather's saying) alone.
  • I want us to truly sing the ole school Coca Cola song ("I Like to Teach the World to SING") and really freakin' MEAN IT
  • I want to get better at photography
  • I want to take more photos

Have you read any good books lately? I am reading Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club. I am going to start teaching this novel to my Seniors on Thursday AM. I cannot put this book down. If I wasn't teaching tonight, I would be @ the crib reading it. Tan is just a lovely writer. If you haven't read this novel, do so. Amy does for the Asian female literautre what Walker and Morrison do for African American female literature.

Peace

2 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Huh. I always thought it was "I'd like to teach the world to SING!" LOL! See how much I pay attention.

The Joy Luck Club is good, and so is The Kitchen God's Wife, if you haven't read that already.

christina said...

I saw that cnn report! Don't get me started!

As I walked through the halls last night to class, I thought of you and what a wonderful thing you do by being a teacher and a mentor. You are an inspiration.

I so love your list! Even though my b-day isn't coming up, I would love to make one of those lists.

It was so long ago that I read Amy Tan's book- JLC! I wish my kids were old enough to read it. I really want to read TKGW by Tan also. Miss m. says it's good so now I want to read it more. ; )