Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flashback Saturday: The Jheri Curl


Stoney Jackson sportin' the Jheri Curl Mullet



Good morning!

Yesterday, I really needed a good laugh. I had some house maintenance issues going on that had me LIVID, amongst other things.

Where did I go for my laugh? Mr. A. When I am extremely exhausted, I get rather loopy. EVERYTHING makes me laugh. Things that normally would not have me laughing have me in hysterics. For some strange reason, I was thinking of Jheri Curls. I had those old "Carefree Curl" commercials - the ones that used to air during "Soul Train" - in my head. Y'all remember the slogan - "Get tuff! Get tuff enuf!" Carefree Curl's activator was the key to that. I won't know CC; the activator cream has done the best to bringing out my natural curl pattern. I just stopped using it about close to a year ago since I went this short. NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE A CURL. I just used the cream.

I called Mr. A., and I said, "Did you ever have a curl?" Now, you know that he cussed me out because he sensed that I was asking him that question for the sheer hell of it. The first thing that he said was, "Have you been drinking?" I replied, "Absolutely not. It is a dry house here." The conversation proceeded as followed:

ME: Did you have a curl?

HIM: HELL NO. I didn't even date women who sported a curl back in the day. When those sh**s first came out, I only had two sets of sheets, and you know how hard it is to wash that mess out of your clothes?

ME: By this point, I am hysterical, but I continue to ask the questions.

HIM: Back in the day, try going to the club, and someone accidentally hits your glasses with one of those flyaway curls. You'lll spend the rest of the night trying to get that mess off of your lens.

ME: I am all over the bed at this point

HIM: Are you there?

ME: Do you know anyone that still wears a curl?

HIM: Hell yeah.

ME: Do you know anyone that wears them at home (his home state)?

HIM: YES. This person couldn't even grow hair (you know the curl will grow your hair), and I'll be damn if he didn't have hair down his back.

ME: Do you know any choir directors who wore a hand towel around their neck to protect their robe from the curl?

HIM: YES!

ME: You know that I asked you these questions on purpose so that I could get a laugh.

HIM: You know that I know that your crazy ass did this intentionally.

ME: I love you for it! Thank you!

Enjoy your Saturday!

5 comments:

Karla Dudley said...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Ha HAAAAAAAAAAA he fo sho got the Soul Glow going on. OMG...how hilarious!!!!!!.......My dad kinda had one. I remember. Kinda still does lol. He's half Puerto Rican but he has has that can hold a curl too lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mademoisellechitchat said...

Karla:

HILARIOUS! I had my grandmother ROLLIN' about my conversation.

Let your SOUL GLOW today! ;)

Shell said...

I use to rock a Jehri curl back in the day. I remember those commercials too. I use to think Stoney Jackson was so cute. Wonder how he looks now?

~EssenseVibez~ said...

OMMMGwaddddddddd---that too funny gurl--i remember i use to want one--but i alredy long hair--but i wanted that curly texture--now mind you, my husband had one---made his grow--he didnt rid of it until i made him--he messed up 3 sets of pillowcases (couldve been more)--he finally cut it--thank ya' jesus!--got tired o buying new pillowcases and soaking the collars on his shirt---icould go on but won't--LOL--i would love to meet this mr. a---love him!!!---you too, booboo(wink)

christina said...

that is too funny! he is such a good sport. hugs for him.
xo