Happy Father's Day!
This photo was taken of Daddy and me circa 1975. I was about 6 mos or so (based on the fact that my gums look super-swollen). Y'all check out my baby-oiled slicked ponytail to the side. Gotta luv my mom. I am thankful to my dad for a lot. He instilled so many values in me - - -the love of Christ; the need to be active in your church; the need to save some $$$; beautiful clothes (don't even go there about his shirt); and taking pride in yourself. Daddy has taught me patience (to a certain degree).
Most importantly, Daddy has taught me never to feel that you have to depend on a man to get what you want in life. I am so tired of older men hitting on me insinuating what they can buy me. My reply is, "I already have one father, and he has given me more than what you could possibly give me. Therefore, lay that sorry-a$$ come-on line w/some ignorant 30 year old). I don't need anything THAT badly. I've had many jobs, but TRICKIN' AIN'T ON MY RESUME. Keep to steppin, AARP."
If you haven't figured it out yet, I am a rather blunt individual. Hmm, could that be why I am still SINGLE. :(
Fun Facts:
Name: OLC
Age: 65
Hometown: EC (aka - - - the HOOD)
Occupation: Sales Manager @ a jewelry store (uh, will he EVER get the chance to sell my fiance my engagement ring (a 1.5 ct. pear-shaped center diamond surrounded in diamonds in a thick, white gold, wide-band setting??? ) Hmm, Daddy would like to retire in less than a year; I don't have a fiance. The answer is :drumroll: NOPE.)
This job has had its perks. Don't HATE me. ;)
Role in community: Deacon at the same CHURCH that he's been attending since his CONCEPTION
Favorite joint: "I Love the Lord He Heard My Cry"
Thanks, Dad!
It's Sunday, folks! Make sure that you give God/It (Once again, who created It) some PRAISE. Head over to the Juke Joint and listen to Fred Hammond' joint.
It's time for Sunday Singin' Sensation #3:

Where do I even BEGIN with my introduction of Sade??? This chick can BLOW. Do you hear me? BLOW. This woman is the reason why so many 23 year old women are running around with the name, Sade. I first recall Sade circa 1985. "Smooth Operator" hit the airwaves, and everyone was like, "Who the H is that exotic-lookin' sista who is singing that song?" It was none other than SADE. If you've never heard of Sade, you seriously have a PROBLEM, and you need to SET down and read the following link. Granted, Wikipedia is far from a reliable source (the online version of "The National Enquirer"); however, the writer of this blurb do a decent job on my girl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sade_Adu
She's the female equivalent to Billy Ocean (talk about a blast from the freakin' PAST).
Go back down Memory (or, for some of you create a memory) by heading to the Juke Joint and play "Smooth Operator."
We've got some thangs to discuss tomorrow. I'll save the 2nd installment of My Country Tis of Thee for the AM.
Happy Sunday!
5 comments:
Awww love that pic!
Thanks, Adrienne!!!
Okay -- can I give Joel your Blog address? He has had a HUGE crush on Sade for about twenty years now (I could be off a year or two!). We saw her in Phoenix at the Suns stadium when it was brand spankin' new!
Hi, I'm from E.C. too. I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now and could not place your or your brother's faces. But as soon as I saw that picture of your dad I thought "That's Deacon **** from Anti*** (church) and Al***** Jewelry". I really enjoy your blog. It's fun running into a fellow E.C. (ex)resident unexpectantly on the internet.
Dear Jem:
Thanks for checkin' a "Region Rat's" blog out! Come on back and visit now, heah? LOL! ;)
Post a Comment